OLD BACKSTAGE
Thursday, February 03, 2005
 
PROUD TO BE BLOGGIN'

I've got a bone to pick with proud Americans and their stickered trucks. I can't stand all the stupid little flag stickers, the yellow ribbons (made in CHINA!), and these things:



Now don't get me wrong: I consider myself DAMN lucky to live in this country. Let's be honest, though, I didn't really have anything to do with it. This is where I was born and coming out of the womb was about as much effort as I put into being an American. Well, until I grew up and took an active interest in the politics of this country - which don't necessarily make me all that proud.

I mean, who's the flag sticker for? Do you think we might be confused? "Well gee, Martha, he doesn't have a flag sticker on his truck! Do you think he might be Iraqi??" I just don't really understand what it's supposed to represent. Proof of your citizenship? Proof of your pride? Proof you like stickers?

Now, I know we want to show support for the troops. I don't agree with the war, and I'm not proud of our participation in it. I do support the troops because I think they're all incredibly brave that they put their lives on the line to defend our country. So do I use a sticker or not? Jesus, I have no idea. If I HAD s sticker on my car, it would say THANKFUL TO BE AMERICAN, because I'm lucky enough to have lived a life without any fighting in my backyard. I'm thankful, yes.

"Proud to be American" boggles my mind. You're American by birth...what are you proud of? Being born? I recognize that there are people who chose citizenship here and worked for it, and in that case being proud makes sense to me. Being proud to have served our country - that also makes sense to me (and you have my undying gratitude). In the case of the staggering number of folks who suddenly become proud to be American and slap stickers on their car during a war, I don't know. It just seems like a lot of people jumping on the sticker bandwagon for something that they had no control over. It reminds me of those t-shirts "Proud to be Irish (or insert your heritage here)!" What?? I don't get a choice, dude. I'm from Irish heritage whether I like it or not.

So, I thought I could come up with a whole slew of new stickers that display my pride for things out of my control:





Ok, ok...you get the picture. I just think if we're going to have pride, let's do something to warrant it. Saying you're "Proud to Be American" should mean something more than slapping a sticker on your car and yelling "FUCK THEM ALL! BOMB THE WHOLE COUNTRY!"

Let's show some respect to each other in THIS country too. Let's help each other out. Let's try to become a model society that actually TRULY cares for each other. Let's all work together to find a way to put an end to this ridiculous fighting.

Being kind to your fellow citizens and having tolerance for cultures other than our own...now THAT would make me proud. Doesn't that make more sense and show more pride than cutting me off in your stickered truck, laying on your horn and flipping me off? I mean, after all...I'm an American too.



Powered by Blogger

THE ONLY RINGS I EVER GET:

« ? A day in the life # »

< ? bostonites # >

OTHER SUPERSTARS YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:

(a) musings

Echoes of a Dream

Pound The Sneeze

Superelastic Iconoclastic

Search Engine Submission and Internet Marketing