OLD BACKSTAGE
Tuesday, September 07, 2004
 
MOVING OUT / MOVING UP

Well, it finally happened: I am no longer working at the BSO. All signs point to me working full-time as a musician, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm sad that I'm leaving because I really love a lot of the people that I work with there, but it's for the best for them and for me.

The future is scary, though. Exciting and scary. I have to make some major adjustments - the most important being health care. For those of you who don't know, I have Polycystic Ovary Disease. What that means is that my ovaries do not produce eggs in the correct way which somehow affects the production of insulin in my pancreas. Long story short - nearly impossible for me to have children and I'm on insulin for life. 3 gigantic horse pills a day. Whoo! Anyhow, I'm also on two other medications along with the insulin - all of which will be quite costly unless I find an alternative health care plan. Going without them is not an option.

My plan is to be a multi-faceted musician. I'm hoping to bulk-up my teaching schedule to three full days a week. Amy made a kick-ass ad for me to publicize with:



If you know of anyone who may be interested in voice lessons, be a dear and pass along my information? A girl's gotta scratch out a dollar and word of mouth is the best publicity there is. Much appreciated!

I'm also looking at some more performing opportunities. I'm considering working with a GB band. I've always sworn I wouldn't do this, but the money is very good and it would be pretty flexible with my All About Buford schedule. I'm not sure yet, because if I'm going to be a musical whore, I'd rather be whoring myself out in a lounge somewhere singing some kick-ass standards. I'd sing "Misty" over "Celebration" any day.

One thing I'm really excited about is this:


Limelight Studios Boston


This is a new start-up company in Boston that sounds really exciting and like it has lots of opportunity for employees. It's literally a vocal PLAYGROUND for anyone and everyone who likes to sing. They offer entertainment packages, vocal instruction, recording and video services for just about anyone. Check out their site!

They actually contacted me after seeing my website, and to be honest...I have a really strong feeling that it's going to be a perfect fit. They're really interested in having me teach because I have a strong background in teaching vocal improvisation AND children's programs. I have an interview tomorrow afternoon and I think this is the first interview I've ever been REALLY excited about.

So, lots of changes right now. I'm going to be my own boss - FINALLY. And soon, I can say without any hesitation that I am a full-time professional musician. No more of this part-time, waking up at 5 am crap! I'm the boss of me!

But I'm scared. Cross your fingers for me!






Powered by Blogger

THE ONLY RINGS I EVER GET:

« ? A day in the life # »

< ? bostonites # >

OTHER SUPERSTARS YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:

(a) musings

Echoes of a Dream

Pound The Sneeze

Superelastic Iconoclastic

Search Engine Submission and Internet Marketing